Sunday, May 9, 2010

Surely God is In this Place

Last June, as I was preparing for camp, I began to contemplate what it takes to raise kids to be global citizens. Much of scripture has moved me to consider, in increasing depth, who my neighbour is. As I pray that God might pour His character through me, and as I seek to share His heart, I have been challenged again by John 3:16..."For God so loved the world...". If I am seeking to share the heart of the God who made me, I reasoned that I must ask, what does it mean to love this world that He loves? I have also had the privelge of having many friends who have been wrestling with God's love for the world too. And it challenges me. It reminds me why we are called to be in community. It reminds me that at its best, members in the body of Christ will inspire each other, support each other, offer grace to each other and include each other in godly pursuits. But this isn't a reflection on community. At least, not today.





So last June, I started praying that my children would grow up having a global perspective. I am all too aware that we are all limited by our own subjectivity, our own experiences and perspective. I asked my friends Lance and Peg Wright to share some thoughts on cultivating global perspective at camp. (if you happen to be one of my friends who doesn't know Lance and Peg check out http://www.scenechange.ca/ ) It is easy to get overwhelmed when thinking about the depths of pain and suffering in our world. Lance offered a simple four steps approash: Be aware (of what's going on in the world) Care, Pray and do what you can. That sounded like a good place to start. My baby steps to loving the world more: having my oldest son sponsor a child with world vision who is the same age as he is and learn about that country, buying a world map for my kids' room, which we used as we began to pray for people around the world. God's step: through the most convoluted set of circumstances, we now LIVE in another part of the world. My little prayer, God's huge answer.





So here we are trying to make our home in Australia. It is starting slowly, but I know I will leave with a whole new perspective on the world (and at least a few people here may learn there is more to Canada than hockey). For quiet time since I've been here, I've been revisiting Genesis and reading about all the people that God uprooted and moved to new places as part of His plan. What has been sticking with me the last few days is a moment with Jacob (Genesis 28:10-22), he leaves home and reaches 'a certain place', and has a dream that God will give him the land. Okay, so I am not interested in such imperial endeavours, but what struck me were his words when he awoke "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it." How many places have I gone 'to a certain place' and failed to expect God to be there? Or have I expected to have to be the one to introduce God? How small do I expect God is at these moments?



So what I've been asking of the Lord, is that He would show me what He is at work doing in this new place that I've landed. Who is He seeking to woo into a relationship? Where is His reconciling love at work? And is there a place for me to be part of it? I know it takes time, but I grow restless easily. For now, I rest in the knowledge, that God is in this place too.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn I've been reading Genesis the past few weeks too! One of my favourite parts is when God provides clothes for Adam and Eve after they screw up and realize they are naked. He is so merciful and good to us! AND it reminded me that He can still work for good even when we screw up the plans He had for us. The plans just change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing that God was ready with a plan B right away? I love that God never gets tired of writing good plans for us. I have always struggled a little with whether we get a plan that isn't quite as good, but I think that is my own inbility to fully receive God's grace rather than God's truth. I know I have certainly needed the new plan many times, but there is also a part of me that is dying to know what the first plan was!! That's where I struggle a little, this desire to know whether I got it 'right' or whether I am getting one of the alternative plans. Isn't that terrible? In the midst of a God who loves me enough to give me grace and keep writing plans, I still get stuck in dwelling on what could have been or might have been.
    How far are you in Genesis? It is such a fascinating book isn't it? And I am again amazed at how God just keeps loving and calling such dysfunctional people! Ahhh, it does give one reason for hope doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete