Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Time to Settle in










Well, my mom left early this morning, and it is starting to sink in that I am hear for awhile. It was so nice having my mom here to help the kids and I settle in. It has also been good company to have had someone to drink tea with and be surprised by the new wildlife while my husband works away at his studies. Last night there was a big frog hanging out on the window and at least one pair of parrots have moved into a tree in the yard. The sound of magpies is also becoming all too familiar, but for now it is still exotic rather than annoying.



The last few days have been spent exploring where my feet can take me. Once we returned the rental car, we took to exploring parks and paths nearby. We are almost right next to the Ross River, which has quite a length of paved path next to the river and a number of parks along the way. It is great for pushing a stroller along and a perfect place to walk with a toddler who isn't quite road savvy yet. We also checked out the botanical gardens yesterday as this was something mom had wanted to do before she left and it was finally cool enough to walk that far. The kids were most interested in the turtles that we could see from a little bridge. I'm pretty sure these were the same 'creepy turtles' that we had seen at the Billabong sanctuary and it was a little less disturbing when viewing them from a bridge. We will have to return there with bits of bread, and I really should try to find out what kind they are.



We have also been settling into our yard, and the kids enjoy being able to go outside so much. Heat rash on the two youngest isn't all that pleasent, but hopefully we will all adapt. I am just thankful it is fall rather than summer here! We also had a castle building adventure as we put the cardboard from our furniture to good use and enjoyed having a garage for the first time! Since we don't have a car, the space is perfect for out of the sun play time!



While we are getting used to our environment, my heart is still heavy as I think of all we have left behind. I feel extremely blessed by family and friends who have been working hard to finish getting stuff out of our old house and taking the many details I left undone because I just didn't have time in the midst of being a mom and student. Today with mom gone, the dull ache is setting in of being so far from all those I hold so close to my heart. Hard to believe that is almost May already, and that staff training and camp promo for Ryerson will be happening this weekend. Strange to be so far away as the camp season begins to unfold. I just keep trusting that this is where God wants us and that it will get easier.



I'm including some photos of the castle and made my first attempt at sharing a video from the Billibong Sanctuary.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous picture of my best baby friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has been wearing many cute outfits which I think you would approve of! Really I post cute photos of her so you can see her outfit :) This one is in our backyard! Expect a video of her walking soon...I know it is coming!

    ReplyDelete